Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Kennedy. cont.

You may have noticed that in my previous blog I said, 'in my minds eye' this was the way events occurred. Now that Senator Kennedy's memoirs are being printed, we will know more. From the few words we have heard about the contents of the book, it promises clarification and insight. I can't wait to read it. The trouble with living as long as I have, is that so many heros become heros of the past.

My paternal grandmother was the first one who died, and whose leaving really affected me. I was too young to understand what dying really meant. She had one huge fault. She owned a cat named Topsy who bore kittens several times a year. We got to see the little blind babies for only a few days and then, suddenly and tragically, they were gone. She told stories about what had happened. The trolls had come out of the forrest and they had stolen them. Or, some witch had come to town and had worked some miracle with them and had turned them into horses for her fancy conveyance. We were always sad that they were gone. Many years later rumors spread that she had drowned them all in a gunny sack. Life as a grownup is not always romantic. I wish I had never heard those rumors, for I remembered her as a sweet little tiny lady, who herself looked as though she could have been magic.

Until I moved I still owned her church hat. Seeing it used to bring her spirit closer. I have forgiven her for drowning the kittens.

8 comments:

Unknown said...

I agree with you that forgiveness is the way to go. To see the good and positive side of people.
You will always be one of my heroes!

Charlene said...

You are a woman with class. You got your point across without stooping to the level of, well, without stooping. Years after my beloved grandfather died, I learned that he had a girlfriend. That is, he cheated on my beloved grandmother. I had to come to terms with it. Had to realize that though he was the perfect grandfather, he was not a perfect man. It did not lessen the love I received from him as a child and so it did not lessen my loving regard for him as an adult.

Anonymous said...

I have been reading your blog since the beginning. I look forward to every new entry. I have never commented before, but felt compelled to this time. I wanted to say "thank you" for reminding us all to not focus on the bad memories. And, don't let them cloud all of the good ones.

Plot Whisperer said...

I love you, Mom.

Arinn said...

I have heard that my grandma was a kitten killer too! It's kind of a strange thing to have to get beyond with a little old lady...

Arinn said...

I have heard that my grandma was a kitten killer too! It's kind of a strange thing to have to get beyond with a little old lady...

Anonymous said...

I believe your "mind's eye" has a cataract... your lucidity seem affected by age.

Melissa said...

Anonymous @7:59 PM,

I believe that you are a bitter, sorry person and we would all be better off without being subjected to your inane commentary.

If you don't like it here, please feel free to never come back.

Svensto, I'm so sad that you have to experience Internet bullys like those that have posted on these last two posts.

Some people have no class whatsoever.